GRF Incentive Scheme
Academic Editing Service Guidelines
To enhance the success rate in submitting articles for peer review for publication in top venues, one’s manuscript needs to be well prepared, polished and edited. There are consultants and companies that offer such a service for a fee. The funding from the GRF Incentive Scheme can be used to help colleagues make use of such services so that their manuscripts may be improved before submission for publication.
(B)Nature of Service
- Academic editing – grammar, punctuation, style, spelling, standardization of terms, clarity, fluency, etc.
- Statistical consultation – compilation, verification, analysis, and presentation of data.
(C)Qualification for Application
- All academic and teaching staff in the Faculty of Arts
- A finished manuscript (journal article, book chapter, book proposal, book manuscript) intended for refereed publication.
- The Dean’s Office keeps an Approved List of Service Providers, and staff can check the details of the providers from the Arts Faculty homepage.
- Staff can suggest providers, full time or free lance, to the Dean’s Office for vetting
- To avoid conflict of interest, reimbursement will be made only if the service provider is on the Dean’s Office Approved List.
(E)Ceiling of Funding Support
Up to HK$5,000 per staff per academic year (regardless of the number of services used); any exceeded amount will be borne by the staff concerned. The unused amount cannot be carried over to the next academic year.
Colleagues will be required to pay for the service in advance and get reimbursement upon presenting the receipt and the evidence of submission of the revised written work to a publisher.
A softcopy of the revised manuscript should be sent to the Dean’s Office for record.
- Send a completed application form to the Dean’s Office. Supporting documents should be attached if the agent/consultant is not on the Approved List of Service Providers.
- The applicant could approach the agent/consultant to start the editing service upon receiving an approval form from the Dean’s Office.
- The applicant will be required to pay for the service in advance.
- Official receipt, evidence of submission to the publisher, and the submitted manuscript (soft copy) should be sent to the Dean’s Office for reimbursement.