Dr. Mable Chan
|Phone number||3411 5041|
B.A. (Hons) in English and Translation (CUHK), PgD in English Education (CUHK), MPhil in English (General/Applied Linguistics) (CUHK), PhD in Language and Linguistics (University of Essex, UK)
Second Language Acquisition (SLA) at the interface with Language Education, and Professional/Workplace Communication.
Second Language Acquisition (SLA) ; Generative Grammar; Linguistics and Applied Linguistics; English for Specific Purposes; English for Academic Purposes
Taught previously at:
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Chan, M. (Ed.). (forthcoming in 2022). Perspectives on teaching workplace English in the 21st century. Routledge.
- Chan, M. & Benati, A. (Eds.). (forthcoming in June 2021). Challenges encountered by Chinese ESL learners in L2 acquisition: Problems and solutions from complementary perspectives. Springer.
- Chan, M. (2020). English for business communication. Routledge.
- Chan, M. (2019). The role of classroom input: Processing instruction, traditional instruction, and implicit instruction in the acquisition of the English simple past by Cantonese ESL learners in Hong Kong. System, 80, 246-256.
- Chan, M. (2018). Processing instruction in helping map forms and meaning in second language acquisition of the English simple past. Journal of Educational Research, 111(6), 720-732.
- Communicative needs of Chinese professionals in Hong Kong ($882,286.9: Standing Committee on Language Education and Research (SCOLAR)) (PI) (2018)
- Articles in Cantonese/English interlanguage ($105,000: Faculty of Humanities of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University for GRF proposals with a rating of 3.5) (PI) (2017)
- The role of pedagogical intervention: Acquisition of tense by Cantonese ESL learners in Hong Kong ($677,300: University Grants Committee (UGC), a General Research Fund (GRF) project) (PI) (2013)