Dr. George Kam Wah Mak
Assistant Professor, 宗教及哲學系
|Phone number||3411 7282|
BA (CUHK), MPhil (CUHK), PhD (Cantab)
Bible Translation; History of Christianity in China; History of Christian Missions; Language and Nationalism in Modern China; Religious Publishing and Print Culture; Sino-Foreign Cultural Relations
Religion in Modern China; History of Chinese Christianity; Introduction to the Bible; Historical Justice
• Protestant Bible Translation and Mandarin as the National Language of China (Volume 131 of Sinica Leidensia). Leiden; Boston: Brill, 2017, xvi+413 pages. (ISBN: 9789004316270)
• 大英聖書公會與官話《和合本》聖經翻譯。香港：基督教中國宗教文化研究社，2010，xxiv+159頁。[The British and Foreign Bible Society and the Translation of the Mandarin Chinese Union Version. Hong Kong: Christian Study Centre on Chinese Religion and Culture, 2010, xxiv+159 pages.] (ISBN: 9789627706212)
• “Chinese Protestant Bible Versions and Chinese Language”. In Oxford Handbook of the Bible in China, edited by K. K. Yeo. Oxford: New York: Oxford University Press (forthcoming).
• “Building a National Bible Society: The China Bible House and the Indigenization of Bible Work”. In The Church as Safe Haven: Christian Governance in China (Volume 55 of Studies in Christian Mission), edited by Lars Peter Laamann and Joseph Tse-Hei Lee. Leiden; Boston: Brill, 2018, pp. 205-237.
• “To Add or not to Add? The British and Foreign Bible Society’s Defence of the ‘Without Note or Comment’ Principle in Late Qing China”. Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society (AHCI Journal published by Cambridge University Press), series 3, 25, 2 (2015): 329-354. [This paper was the winner of Barwis-Holliday Award for Far Eastern Studies, Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland, 2014.]
The Annotation Question of the Chinese Protestant Bible
The History of the China Bible House