B.A. (Peking), M.A. (Nanjing), MA, Ph.D. (UW-Madison)
PhD University of Chicago
饶宗颐国学院副院长; 副教授, 中国语言文学系
In January 2013, Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) celebrated the inauguration of the Jao Tsung-I Academy of Sinology, the first institution of its kind in Hong Kong. Named after the world-renowned expert in Chinese classical studies, the late Professor Jao Tsung-i who served as its Honorary Permanent Director, the Academy was established for the purpose of understanding and preserving Chinese cultural heritage, through focused research and engaged teaching.
Professor Jao Tsung-i is a man of admirable character, profound knowledge and multifarious talents with a widely influential body of works in an unprecedentedly broad range of disciplines. As an institution bearing his name, the HKBU Jao Tsung-I Academy of Sinology has been dedicated to the study and promotion of Professor Jao’s scholarship ever since its establishment. Jao Tsung-I Academy of Sinology is devoted to publishing advanced scholarly works on Sinology and related fields, as well as its annual journal. Under the invitation of the Academy, a team of world-renowned scholars have been gathered to form several academic advisory boards for its publications.
To promote a wider circulation of Professor Jao’s scholarships that are published in many different books and volumes, and by so doing further extend the influence of our publications, the Academy has launched a comprehensive and interdisciplinary project to publish English translations of Prof. Jao Tsung-i’s academic works. HKBU received a generous donation of HK$2.5 million from The Jao Studies Foundation in support of this new project, after an agreement signing ceremony was held on 5 March 2019. Given Prof. Jao Tsung-i’s scholarly significance and his unique achievements in both academic and artistic spheres, the translations are expected to be well-received by global readership.
The project aims at compiling an authoritative edition of the collected works of Prof. Jao Tsung-i that would make his principal writings available in English.
Five key subjects and groups of academic works of Prof. Jao Tsung-i have been identified for professional translation:
(i) The studies of oracle bone inscriptions and excavated manuscripts
(ii) Chu ci, fu rhapsody and Wen xuan
(iii) Chinese musicology
(iv) Sino-foreign relations
(v) Dunhuang studies
1. A choice of Professor Jao’s scholarly works will be translated from Chinese into English and published in five volumes. The Academy will establish an advisory board and an editorial board, both coordinated by Professor Chen Zhi, Director of Jao Tsung-I Academy of Sinology. Board members will include prominent scholars from Harvard University, Columbia University, Oxford University, the University of Chicago, the University of Tokyo, Fudan University, the University of Hong Kong, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, and Hong Kong Baptist University.
2. Two Postdoctoral Research Fellows have been appointed to oversee the quality, and to handle copyright issues of the entire project.
3. For publishing the English anthology of Prof. Jao’s scholarly works, the Academy is going to forge a partnership with a major academic publishing house or a prestigious university publisher that has a team of professional academic editors seasoned in editing academic works in English, in order to uphold the rigorous standards of proofreading and editing the anthology demands.
- (i) The studies of oracle bone inscriptions and excavated manuscripts
- (ii) Chu ci, fu rhapsody and Wen xuan
- (iii) Chinese musicology
- (iv) Sino-foreign relations
- (v) Dunhuang studies
An agreement was signed by Professor Lee Cheuk-fan, Chairman of the Management Board of The Jao Studies Foundation, and Professor Roland Chin, President and Vice-Chancellor of HKBU.
Guests at the agreement signing ceremony on 5 March 2019