Prof. Lauren F. Pfister
Professor Emeritus, Department of Religion and Philosophy
B.A. (Denver U), M.Div. (Denver Conservative Baptist Seminary), M.A. (San Diego State U), Ph.D. (U Hawai’i at Manoa)
Sino-European-North American comparative philosophy and comparative religious studies
philosophy; religious studies; sinology; humanities; translation hermeneutics (in retirement, involved in invited lectures, national and international conferences, as well as graduate student and post-doc supervision)
Taught previously at:
Asian Theological Seminary (Manila, Philippines), International Theological Seminary (Honolulu, USA), Bonn University (Germany), Berne University (Switzerland)
1. 《翻译的跨学科研究方法论——费乐仁汉学家研究选论》, edited by Yuē Fēng 岳峰 (Xiàmén廈門: Xiàmén University Press廈門大學出版社, 2016). Translated in part by Yuē Fēng, Liú Wěi 劉瑋, Chén Róngfēng陳榕烽, Lín Fēng 林風, Lín Lín 林琳and Zhāng Língyún張凌雲. Supported by national research project on “Missionary Translators’ Translations of Confucian Works” / 在世俗與宗教之間走銅絲 : 傳教士譯介儒經研究 (funded by the Chinese National Ministry of Education, project # 12YJA740100).
2. Guest Editor, Contemporary Chinese Thought (Belgium) Vol. 43, No. 3 (Spring 2012) entitled Expanding Horizons of Religion and European Culture for China: Selected Essays by Zhao Fusan (translator: Curie Qu Li).
3. “Post-Secularity within Contemporary Chinese Philosophical Contexts”, Journal of Chinese Philosophy Vol. 39, no. 1 (March 2012): 121-138.
4. Guest Editor, Hermeneutic Thinking in Chinese Philosophy (Vol. 1 in the Annual Journal Supplement Series to the Journal of Chinese Philosophy (Boston: Blackwell, 2006); Vol. 2 in the Journal of Chinese Philosophy 34: 1 (March 2007).
5. Striving for “The Whole Duty of Man”: James Legge (1815-1897) and the Scottish Protestant Encounter with China (Frankfurt am Main, Germany: Peter Lang, 2004), two volumes.
Lúnyǔ《論語》(Confucian Analects) in Foreign Languages: Documentation, Textual Interpretation, Cross-Cultural Hermeneutics
Critical Hermeneutic Studies of English Renderings of the Dàodéjīng《道德經》: Stephen Mitchell (1987), Xu Yuanchong許淵冲 (2007), and Hans-Georg Moeller (2007)
Preparation of a Scholarly Annotated English Version of the Gōngyáng Zhuàn《公羊傳》