Mr. James SHEA
Associate Professor, Department of Humanities and Creative Writing
|Phone number||3411 5898|
B.A. (Loyola University Chicago), M.F.A. (The University of Iowa)
Poetry Writing; Modern and Contemporary American Poetry; Early Modern Japanese Literature; Literary Translation; New Media
Creative Writing; Poetics; Literary Translation; New Media
Taught previously at:
Department of English, Nebraska Wesleyan University
The Committee on Creative Writing, University of Chicago
MFA Program in Poetry, Columbia College Chicago
Department of English & Department of Modern Languages, DePaul University
1. Shea, James. 2018. “Failed Self-Portrait.” Mississippi Review, No. 45:3. 35-48.
2. Shea, James. Fall 2017. “Origin Story.” and “Unreasonable DJ.” Phoebe 47:1, 96-97.
3. » Shea, James. 2017. “Teaching Chinese-language Creative Writing in Hong Kong: Three Case Studies.” TEXT: Journal of Writing and Writing Courses, 1-13.
4. Shea, James. 2017. “Poetry Writing Workshops, or: The Conversation between Thoughts and Feelings.” In Innocence and Dreams: Essays on Teaching Creative Writing [ 童 心 與 夢： 文 學 創 作 教 學 論 集 ], Hong Kong: Department of Chinese Language and Literature, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 143-156.
5. Shea, James. 2017. “Poem by Tolstoy.” Columbia Poetry Review: 30th Anniversary Issue, No. 30, 129.
Vermont Arts Development Council Creation Grant (2019-2020)
General Research Fund (HK): “Creative Writing Pedagogy during the Cold War: The University of Iowa’s International Writing Program and Hong Kong Poets” (2019-2021)
Hong Kong Arts Development Council Grant for Literary Translation (2019-2020)