Dr. Robert Neather
Head of Department of Translation, Interpreting and Intercultural Studies and Associate Professor, Department of Translation, Interpreting and Intercultural Studies
|Phone number||3411 2309|
● Pg. Dip. in Interpreting and Translating (Chinese), University of Bath (1999)
● Ph.D. in classical Chinese literature, Queens’ College, University of Cambridge
Thesis: “The Fu Genre in the Mid-Tang: A Study in Generic Change” (1995)
● B.A. in Chinese (double First Class), Queens’ College, University of Cambridge (1989)
● Translation in museums and heritage sites
● Collaborative translation and translation communities
● Translation Studies
● Practical Translation
● Museum and Heritage Translation
Taught previously at:
● City University of Hong Kong (2001-2008)
● University of Bath, UK (1999-2001)
1. Neather, R.J. (2018), “Museums, Material Culture, and Cultural Representations”. In Sue-Ann Harding and Ovidi Carbonell Cortés (eds.), The Routledge Handbook of Translation and Culture, London and New York: Routledge, pp. 361-378.
2. Neather, R.J. (2014), “Visual Paratexts in Literary Translation: Intersemiotic Issues in the Translation of Classical Chinese Literature”. In Sandra Bermann and Catherine Porter (eds), A Companion to Translation Studies, Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, pp. 504-515.
3. Neather, R.J. (2012), “‘Non-Expert’ Translators in a Professional Community: Identity, Anxiety and Perceptions of Translator Expertise in the Chinese Museum Community”. The Translator 18 (2012), pp. 245-268.
4. Neather, R.J. (2012), “Intertextuality, Translation and the Semiotics of Museum Presentation: The Case of Bilingual Texts in Chinese Museums”. Semiotica 192 (2012), pp. 197-218.
5. Neather, R.J. (2009), “Translation in a ‘Non-Translation’ Community: Practices, Ideologies and Conceptualizations of Translation in the PRC Museum Discourse Community”. Translation Quarterly 51&52 (December 2009), pp. 145-176.
Translation for Museums, Galleries and Heritage Sites. Volume in preparation for the Routledge Translation Practices Explained series.