Dr. CHONG Gladys Pak Lei
Associate Professor, Department of Humanities and Creative Writing
|Phone number||3411 3273|
B.A. (HKU), M.A. (University of Amsterdam), Ph.D. (University of Amsterdam)
power relations; process of subjectification; governmentality; cultural governance; youth studies; everyday life; globalization; nationalism; mobility; gender and the politics of identity.
The Classical Heritage; Horror Film and Fiction; Fairytales and Our Society; Detective Fiction and the Modern World; Manga and Anime: Japanese Popular Culture in Hong Kong.
Taught previously at:
Amsterdam University College, Netherlands
1. Chong, Gladys Pak Lei, 2019. “Cashless China: Seucritisation of Everyday Life through Alipay’s Social Credit System—Sesame Credit.” Chinese Journal of Communication, special issue devoted to The Platformisation of Chinese society, eds. Jeroen de Kloet, Thomas Poell, Guohua Zeng and Yiufai Chow.
2. de Kloet, Jeroen, Yiufai Chow and Gladys Pak Lei Chong, eds. 2019 (forthcoming). Trans-Asia as Method: Theory and Practices (Asian Cultural Studies: Transnational and Dialogic Approaches). London: Rowman and Littlefield.
3. Chong, Gladys Pak Lei, 2019 (forthcoming). “Dwelling, Aspirations, and the Good Life: Inter-referencing Youth in Beijing and Hong Kong.” In Trans-Asia as Method: Theory and Practices (Asian Cultural Studies: Transnational and Dialogic Approaches), ed. Jeroen de Kloet, Yiufai Chow and Gladys Pak Lei Chong, London: Rowman and Littlefield.
4. Chong, Gladys Pak Lei, 2017. Chinese Subjectivities and the Beijing Olympics (Series: Critical Perspectives on Theory, Culture and Politics). London: Rowman and Littlefield.
5. Chong, Gladys Pak Lei, 2014. “Driving the City: Taxi Drivers and the Tactics of Everyday Life in Beijing.” Journal of Current Chinese Affairs 43 (4): 175–205. http://journals.sub.uni-hamburg.de/giga/jcca/article/view/803/804