The Creative and Professional Writing Programme at HKBU is the first UGC-funded undergraduate programme in Hong Kong dedicated to creative and professional writing learning in both the Chinese and English languages. The Programme has developed from a very popular concentration of the Humanities Programme. Apart from cultivating students to write in the creative and professional fields, the Creative and Professional Writing Programme also aims to nurture students' academic potential, cultural dimensions and sense of creativity, and to enhance their professional value.
The Creative and Professional Writing Programme incorporates two distinct characteristics:
- Bilingual Teaching and Learning. Students will read, write and speak in Chinese as well as English, developing their skills in both languages. Bilingual ability enables students to respond to Hong Kong's specific linguistic environment.
- Interdisciplinarity. All the Creative and Professional Writing courses are designed to ensure that students are exposed to the writing demands and strategies of diverse disciplines, including art criticism, language, literature, history, philosophy, media studies, business and science.
Aims of the Creative and Professional Writing Programme
- Provide students with a vigorous curriculum to develop creative and professional writing skills in Chinese and English Languages
- Develop students' abilities when writing professionally in different genres and contexts to enhance students' career opportunities
- Cultivate students to produce original works of fiction, poetry, or nonfiction
- Enhance students' cultural literacy which would act as a solid basis for their creative and professional writing
- Build up their knowledge for self-directed and life-long learning in the world of professional writing and publishing